What is STEM?
STEM is an acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math education.
Occupations in STEM-related careers are some of the fastest growing and best paid of the 21st century, and they often have the greatest potential for job growth. We aim to provide opportunities for our students to understand the real world applications of STEM subjects, experience hands-on STEM activities as well meet industry role models that motivate, enthuse and endorse various career opportunities in Science and industry.
STEM developments and activities at Helsby High School have already been successfully implemented including the training of staff to teach coding and programming with laser cutting and 3D printing training scheduled for the near future.
STEM links with Chester University, Thornton Science Park, Fablab and URENCO continue to be successful in giving pupils hands-on opportunities to experience practical tasks, designing, making and problem solving skills as well as communication and negotiation skills. The Biology Olympiad on-line competitions, Primary STEM workshops, Crest Award, Maths Challenge and BIG maths sessions with local Primary Schools have also made a positive contribution towards the promotion of STEM subjects.
Recent STEM Events
- Helsby Students Shine
- Science Hero Mr Shipley Cycles for STEM
- Year 12 Students visit World Leading Manufacturer JCB
- Engineering Your Future: Helsby High School Students wow CAL International and Airbus Staff
- Helsby High School Selected to become Young Chamber of Commerce Member
- Year 10s Fly High at Make It Grand Final
- Make-It Grand Final
- URENCO Make-It Enterprise Challenge
- Essar Make-It Enterprise Challenge
- International Womens Day Poster
- It’s all Rocket Science!
- Daresbury Laboratory Accelerator science
- Year 7 Faraday Challenge
- Year 9 Students Travel through the Universe at Liverpool University
- Year 10 Girls attend RAF STEM Residential
STEM Breakfast Meetings
For the past few months Year 10 students have been involved in a series of STEM Careers breakfast meetings on Tuesday mornings. Each week, between 15 to 20 students have attended these sessions to increase their awareness of STEM related careers and areas where there are local and national skills shortages. Helsby High School is extremely grateful to the following organisations for giving up their time to support this scheme which has been exceptionally well received by students:
- Urenco (Engineering)
- RAF (60+ career opportunities and apprenticeships)
- UCFB (Degrees and Careers in Sport)
- NHS (New apprenticeship opportunities)
- Turner and Townsend (Careers in Construction)
You are entering a STEM Learning Zone!
We are delighted to announce the arrival of our new ‘STEM Learning Zones’ signs that have been provided by our STEM partner organisation URENCO. URENCO is the world leader in uranium enrichment services, and URENCO UK Ltd is based locally to Helsby High School in Capenhurst, near Ellesmere Port. URENCO have a strong history of supporting Helsby High School with events such as leading our Year 8 Activities Day and talking to smaller groups of students about engineering career paths.
Twelve signs have been provided by URENCO to help Helsby High School promote STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) subjects within school, and focus students’ attention on these important skill shortage areas.