Each year a team of Head Students are selected from 6th Form students. They play a vital role across the school, leading and representing the views of the student community, and promoting the 6th Form in a range of ways. In addition, a team of 6th Formers have the opportunity to fulfil a Student Ambassador role of their choice, either linking to a particular subject area, or to an aspect of school life which interests them.
Students are encouraged to develop their leadership across a wide range of activities and events, these include:
• Sports Leader Award
• Nuffield Bursary in Science
• Health & Social Care work experience, leading in the community
• Young Leaders in Service scheme (by arrangement with the Helsby and Frodsham branch of the Lions Club International).
• Drama productions provide a range of opportunities on-stage and backstage
• Self-arranged work experience placements
• In-class support, leading the learning of younger pupils
• The ability to successfully lead teams of your peers in the field: e.g. on Art trips to Italy & London; Biology fieldwork to Anglesey; English trip to London; and Geography trips to anywhere from Formby sand dunes to Iceland
• Developing leadership on the sports field in Sixth Form sports teams
• Presenting at assemblies & as part of the PSHCE programme
• Leading guided tours of school to visitors
• Leading organisation of a variety of evening events in school
• Leading charity and fundraising activities in school – e.g. School nominated Charities and the Marie Curie & Poppy Appeal in the local community
• Peer mentoring: leading on support for younger pupils in school
• Year 13 leading Year 12 to pass their Driving test (the theory part only!)
6th Form Head Students and Student Ambassadors are always encouraged to develop their own leadership ideas.
To find out more, please speak to Mrs Robinson, Mrs Speakman or Mr Duffell