Traditionally there have been different uniforms for boys and girls at Helsby High School. However, to meet our obligations under the Equalities Act of 2010, we are looking to change our uniform in the future to remove these differences. There will be a consultation in the summer term of 2017 which will involve Governors, staff, students and parents regarding the ‘new’ uniform; what it will look like and when the change will take place. It is not anticipated that any permanent change to the uniform will be before September 2018 and it is likely that any change will be ‘phased in’ and only be for the new Year 7 cohort of students.
In the short term, students will be able to choose their preference from either of the green or black options below.
Items marked “v” can only be purchased from our School Shop
School uniform option 1
- v Black blazer (badged)
- v School tie
- White long sleeved shirt
- White short sleeved shirt (for Summer only)
- Black or dark grey school trousers
- Grey V-necked pullover (to be worn with blazer)
- Grey or black socks
PE/GAMES KIT option 1:
- Emerald green/white reversible Rugby/Football shirt
- White plain t shirt
- White sports socks
- White shorts
- Emerald green football socks
- Trainers or gym shoes
- Football boots and shin pads
- v Athletic vest – green with HELSBY printed on front
School uniform option 2
- v Bottle green blazer (badged)
- v School tie
- White shirt – long sleeved
- White shirt – short sleeved (for Summer only)
- Bottle green V-necked pullover (those with embroidered logo on the front can be bought from school – to be worn with blazer)
- Bottle green skirt, plain without trimmings. The style should be of knee length and allow for easy movement OR black school trousers (black boot legged trousers can be bought from the school shop – fashion trousers or black jeans are not acceptable
- White or bottle green knee/ankle length socks
- Black tights (Winter weight) – patterned tights are not acceptable
PE/GAMES KIT option 2:
- v White polo shirt with teal panels (with logo on front)
- v Black skort with teal panels
- v Teal athletics vest with white panels with HELSBY printed on front (optional)
- v Black micro fleece with teal piping (optional)
- Black shorts (optional)
- Black tracksuit bottoms (optional)
- White ankle socks.
- Trainers or gym shoes.
- Football boots and shin pads.
- Students do not have to choose PE kit 1 if they have chosen school uniform 1 and vice versa. They should instead choose a PE kit suitable for the activities they will be undertaking.
- No extremely short haircuts, partially or totally shaved heads, extremes of colour, hair extensions or extremes in fashion styles are not acceptable. A ‘number 3’ haircut is the minimum permitted.
- Minimal make-up, no nail varnish or false nails (to include acrylic nails) are to be worn.
- Hair ribbons or bobbles (if worn) should be bottle green, black or white.
- No jewellery should be worn apart from a watch and a single (pair of) small stud earring(s). No facial piercings (to include nose and lip) are allowed.
- Dark coloured coat for outside wear only (denim, leather coats or hooded tops are not acceptable).
- Shoes – black flat heeled (trainers, boots, sandals or fashion shoes are not acceptable).
School Uniform Expectations
During the week commencing Monday 22 June 2015, all students in school have had an assembly led by the Key Stage Leaders, reminding them of our school uniform expectations. This presentation has been placed on the school website and can be accessed via the uniform page or by Click Here.
There is no uniform in the Sixth Form but students are asked to come to school in neat, tidy and appropriate dress. Totally shaved heads or other extremes of fashion are best avoided.