On Wednesday 28th June Mr Dowler (Headteacher), Ms Simmonds (Assistant Headteacher), Thomas M (Yr 10), Eva L (Yr 9), Jessie E (Yr 8) and Samuel M (Yr 7) represented Helsby High School as finalists in the Active Community Award category.
The prestigious event was held at The Queen Hotel in Chester. The finalists from all eight categories of awards were invited to attend. There were over twenty Primary and Secondary Schools represented from across Cheshire.
Over the last eighteen months the students, staff, governors and parents of Helsby High School have contributed and/or supported a wide variety of community events. Some examples include:
- Raising in excess of £5500 for the Walton Centre in memory of Alex T.
- Over £880 raised by Jenny F and her team for the Poppy Appeal.
- Over 700kgs of food donated to our local Food banks.
- 151 rucksacks for refugees filled for children in Syria and Europe.
- Students hosted a Senior Citizens Christmas Party with 95 visitors.
- £1500 raised for Comic Relief, Save the Children and Children in Need through student fundraising
- 90 Christmas Hampers produced by Form Classes for members of our local community.
- £2500 raised through Own Clothes Days for our school charity Cancer Research UK.
We are proud that our school has been recognised for the ongoing work within the community locally, nationally and globally. As we move into the next academic year the Community Student Team are looking forward to building upon the success of this year by continuing to look at original ways to remain active in giving help to those who need it, being active in our wider community and promoting a strong internal community within school – one that we can continue to be proud of.
Thank you Cheshire School Awards but more importantly thank you to all the students, staff, governors and parents who have supported our events.
The Community Student Team